Friday, September 9, 2016

Mom

Dear Mom,
It will be two years in October since God took you home.  I miss you so much it hurts in my heart.  I think about every week and sometimes several days during the week.  I think about how fast time swept by.  Once you were here just a phone call away and then you were gone--just gone.  It all happened so quickly in 2014, me in Texas and you in Indiana.  I was supposed to come home in May but I couldn't get the money together or time off work.  You were disappointed, but I promised to try to come in June.  We talked on the phone you missed me, I missed you.  In June things were hectic at work and I couldn't come home.  you were disappointed again.  I tried to put things together so I could come home next month.  We talked on the phone.  Your health has not been good for awhile and you've had chronic pain most of my adult life.  You started to get infections and it was hard to get rid of them.  You had dad, but you were lonely.  You wanted people to visit, but then you didn't either because you felt bad.  We talked on the phone every week, sometimes more than once a week.  I worried about you.  You worried about me.  August slipped by and September arrived and I still hadn't found my way home.  You weren't getting better.  I finally got it together enough to plan to come home in late October.  You weren't convinced that I would come because the plans hadn't worked out before.  Then, in October there were trips to the doctor and you were getting worse.  I couldn't understand you on the phone, but still we tried to talk.  Then, my brother called and said I should come now and bring the girls if I wanted to see mom.  You were at home in Hospice care, and it all just fell out of control quickly.  I managed to get Jaime and Shannon to come with me and we left two weeks before we had planned to because you were getting so much worse.  You hadn't seen Jaime in at least 9-10 years.  We arrived late in the night and you were still awake waiting,  You were so thin and pale.  You weren't in your comfy bed or your pretty room.  They had moved you in the computer room which a long time ago had been my room.  You were in a hospital bed waiting.  I will never forget the smile that broke out across your weary face when you saw me, then Shannon, and finally Jaime.  When you saw Jaime tears were in your eyes and you whispered to us, "You just made my day!"  They were hugs, kisses, and tears.  You were so happy to finally have me home, to hug and kiss Jaime once again, and to hold, hug, and kiss Shannon, my youngest.  You made our day too Mom, you made my whole life!

No comments:

Post a Comment